SHAZZAM
Thursday, January 04, 2007
  Not so dirrty.
I just finished watching Courtney Cox-Arquette’s new show, “Dirt.” It kind of sucks. The premise is cool: the behind-the-scenes of a tabloid. For some reason, I think with this comes the expectation that Lucy Spiller, CCA’s character, should be a kind of bitch. The fact that she wasn’t left me kind of uncomfortable—aren’t tabloid editors supposed to be cutthroat and evil? One of the celebs she used as a source was involved in a car accident, and Lucy was crying. This is not evil! Why wasn’t she pushing to the front of the crime scene like we would expect a paparazzo to do? Aren’t they sick, sad people?

Perhaps Lucy is not supposed to be one of those creepy guys we saw on all those E shows about celebrities gone bad with paparazzi. As the editor of the magazine, I think all the real dirty work is left for the actual photographers. Here, the only photog we see is a truly creepy man—his creepiness is associated with his mild case of schizophrenia. So that’s why all the paparazzi are insane, mental illness? I read in another review of this show that this guy’s storyline was the only thing driving the show. I think it only added to the list of questions!

And, um, why was everything black or red? If you’re going to use devil colors, let that bitch be evil! I don’t think Satan cries every time somebody dies! We have this assumption, and one that I am not yet able to let go of, that the folks behind tabloids are in fact soulless, but Lucy and even the schizo-photographer seem to be, well, not. They are certainly not soulful, as evidenced by the photographer’s setting up of the sad out-of-work-I-am-only-at-this-premiere-because-my-girlfriend-is-in-the-movie actor to get him pissed to get his enraged-self on camera. I am so confused by this show!

I don’t know if I don’t like it, but right now, I know I don’t quite like it yet. Should I waste another hour and watch next week’s episode? Part of me expects CCA to pull a Monica and mess everything up, which would kind of make me happy because the Friends CCA was a bit neurotic and crazy—something that Dirt CCA is missing. Get crazy, or be the tabloid with a heart. The show needs to choose one because I can’t keep asking questions every week. I need answers!


I must saw, however, that Courtney is looking mighty fine in this first episode. Wow.

Labels:

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Who doesn't love a little Shaq-fu?

ARCHIVES
April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 /


Music I'm listening to:
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies


Subscribe to my feed

Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory

Powered by Blogger

Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory

Blogwise - blog directory

Humor Blogs - Blog Top Sites